Mahila Congress opposes cooking gas price hike by govt
New Delhi: The Delhi government`s decision
to withdraw subsidy on LPG, leading to a hike of Rs 40 in
cooking gas, has not gone well with the women`s wing of the
Congress party, which on Tuesday demanded a reversal of the
"So much hike is not proper... We expect the Delhi
government to take back the decision," President of the All
India Mahila Congress (AIMC) Prabha Thakur said here.
She said due to the increase in the price of cooking gas,
women in the Capital are feeling the pinch and being a women,
she (Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit) should reconsider the
Thakur said such an increase in cooking gas price would
tilt the balance of a family`s budget. She said a delegation
led by the Delhi unit President of the AIMC would meet Dikshit
tomorrow to press for the demand.
Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi, however, sought to
defend the hike saying when Delhi is going to have world class
infrastructure for the Commonwealth Games, the "people would
not grudge a minimal hike".
"No part of India has such infrastructure. It (the money)
does not come from air," Singhvi said, adding the government
required resources for building the infrastructure.
Without commenting on the decision, a senior Congress
leader said, "Dikshit is wise enough to understand the
implications of the decision. She must have taken it after due
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory