Mahila Congress opposes cooking gas price hike by govt
New Delhi: The Delhi government`s decision
to withdraw subsidy on LPG, leading to a hike of Rs 40 in
cooking gas, has not gone well with the women`s wing of the
Congress party, which on Tuesday demanded a reversal of the
"So much hike is not proper... We expect the Delhi
government to take back the decision," President of the All
India Mahila Congress (AIMC) Prabha Thakur said here.
She said due to the increase in the price of cooking gas,
women in the Capital are feeling the pinch and being a women,
she (Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit) should reconsider the
Thakur said such an increase in cooking gas price would
tilt the balance of a family`s budget. She said a delegation
led by the Delhi unit President of the AIMC would meet Dikshit
tomorrow to press for the demand.
Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi, however, sought to
defend the hike saying when Delhi is going to have world class
infrastructure for the Commonwealth Games, the "people would
not grudge a minimal hike".
"No part of India has such infrastructure. It (the money)
does not come from air," Singhvi said, adding the government
required resources for building the infrastructure.
Without commenting on the decision, a senior Congress
leader said, "Dikshit is wise enough to understand the
implications of the decision. She must have taken it after due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack