Make women feel safe in Delhi: Ambika Soni
New Delhi: Following yet another rape in the national capital, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Monday said that rising crimes against women was a "serious issue" and stressed on the importance of making them feel safe in the city.
"It is an extremely serious issue. The voices of women must be heard and they must feel safe," Soni told reporters outside Parliament.
An 18-year-old girl was abducted and raped in a moving vehicle by four youths, including a minor, after she protested their lewd remarks in the Sultanpuri area of northwest Delhi late on Saturday. All the accused were arrested.
Soni said that while the police caught the accused in 90 minutes, but even those 90 minutes are very long when a girl is being raped. Questions are being raised over the delay in tracking them even though police were informed immediately after the abduction by the victim`s colleague.
"Each unfortunate event teaches a lesson to the police," the minister said.
Saturday`s incident comes days after a 30-year-old BPO employee was abducted and raped by four men in south Delhi and a 22-year-old woman was abducted and raped by six men in northeast Delhi last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof