Man gets 10 years jail for raping woman
New Delhi: A Delhi Court has sentenced a 44-year-old man for 10 years imprisonment on charges of raping a married woman, also his distant relative, when she was alone in her room.
The court held Uttar Pradesh resident Prem Pal guilty of raping the 30-year-old woman in 2011 when he was staying in her house for few days.
"Prosecution has thus categorically proved beyond shadows of all reasonable doubts that on June 6, 2011...Accused Prem Pal committed rape upon the prosecutrix aged around 30 years without her consent and against her will," Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta said.
"I am of the considered opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convict Prem Pal to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of ten years and to pay a fine of Rs 10,000...Under Section 376 (rape) of the IPC," the judge said.
The woman had told the court that on June 6, 2011, she along with her husband, sister-in-law and her brother Prem Pal were sitting at the roof top of her house. Her husband went to his work and also asked Prem Pal to accompany while her sister-in-law went to her room.
The accused instead of going with the woman`s husband came to her room when she along with her one-month-old daughter was resting there and raped her, she had told the court.
The woman said she resisted and due to which her infant daughter fell from the bed and Prem Pal left her room. In the afternoon, when her husband came home, she disclosed the incident to him and they informed the police.
A case was registered against Prem Pal at Shalimar Bagh police station in North West Delhi and he was arrested.
During the trial, Prem Pal claimed he has been falsely implicated in the case as he used to take side of his sister in the family dispute between the woman and her sister-in-law, who was the accused`s sister.
The court, however, rejected his submissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them