MCD polls: We accept people’s verdict, says Cong
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday accepted what looked like an imminent defeat in the recently concluded elections for the three civic bodies as the early trends suggested a complete rout of the party after the first few hours of counting of votes.
In his first reaction to the emerging trends, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, “We accept people’s verdict. We will certainly try to ascertain the causes of our poor showing in the days to come.”
However, the Congress leader was quick to downplay main opposition BJP’s comfortable lead in the civic body polls in Delhi by saying, “The MCD polls results should be seen in that context only. It will not have a bearing on Congress’ prospects in the coming elections,” adding, “Congress has been winning the Assembly elections for the past 15 years and our candidates have won all seven Parliamentary seats from Delhi. This itself shows our strength.”
He, however, admitted that there were local issues which led to party’s poor performance in the civic body elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love