MCD polls: We accept people’s verdict, says Cong
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday accepted what looked like an imminent defeat in the recently concluded elections for the three civic bodies as the early trends suggested a complete rout of the party after the first few hours of counting of votes.
In his first reaction to the emerging trends, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, “We accept people’s verdict. We will certainly try to ascertain the causes of our poor showing in the days to come.”
However, the Congress leader was quick to downplay main opposition BJP’s comfortable lead in the civic body polls in Delhi by saying, “The MCD polls results should be seen in that context only. It will not have a bearing on Congress’ prospects in the coming elections,” adding, “Congress has been winning the Assembly elections for the past 15 years and our candidates have won all seven Parliamentary seats from Delhi. This itself shows our strength.”
He, however, admitted that there were local issues which led to party’s poor performance in the civic body elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth