MCD polls: We accept people’s verdict, says Cong
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday accepted what looked like an imminent defeat in the recently concluded elections for the three civic bodies as the early trends suggested a complete rout of the party after the first few hours of counting of votes.
In his first reaction to the emerging trends, Congress spokesperson Rashid Alvi said, “We accept people’s verdict. We will certainly try to ascertain the causes of our poor showing in the days to come.”
However, the Congress leader was quick to downplay main opposition BJP’s comfortable lead in the civic body polls in Delhi by saying, “The MCD polls results should be seen in that context only. It will not have a bearing on Congress’ prospects in the coming elections,” adding, “Congress has been winning the Assembly elections for the past 15 years and our candidates have won all seven Parliamentary seats from Delhi. This itself shows our strength.”
He, however, admitted that there were local issues which led to party’s poor performance in the civic body elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!