MCD seeks IIT help to fight mosquito menace
New Delhi: The MCD has turned to Indian
Institute of Technology-Delhi and Delhi College of Engineering
to help check mosquito breeding in the storm water drains in
the city during the coming rainy season.
Storm water drains built on both sides of major roads in
Delhi can be huge mosquito breeding grounds during rainy
season, leading to spread of diseases like malaria and dengue.
"We have written to both Delhi College of Engineering and
IIT-Delhi to suggest us better ways to drain out water from
the newly-built storm water drains," MCD Municipal Health
Officer N K Yadav said.
Storm water drain is designed to drain excess rain and
ground water from paved streets, parking lots, sidewalks and
roofs. They vary in design from small dry wells to large
municipal systems. They are fed by street gutters on most of
the roads which experience heavy rainfall followed by
flooding and water-logging during regular storms.
"Once it rains and water remains inside the drains, our
breeding checkers will not be able to spray any medicine
inside the drain to stop mosquito menace as their inlets are
too heavy for a single person to lift. They cannot spray from
outside as these are closed inlets," Yadav said.
He said they are going all-out to clean these drains. "We
are hoping they will soon suggest us modifications needed to
drain out water in a better way from these drains," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj