Minor rape: Middle-level officers reshuffled, East Delhi DCP shifted
New Delhi: The Deputy Commissioner of Police of East Delhi, where the rape of a five-year-old girl had taken place, was shifted in a reshuffle of middle-level officers of Delhi Police.
Prabhakar, a 2003-batch IPS officer who was Deputy Commissioner of Police (East), was transferred to Prime Minister`s Security in the same rank, a senior police official said.
Prabhakar had headed the district where the rape of the five-year-old girl in Gandhinagar led to protests in the capital.
It was alleged the local police did not investigate the kidnapping and subsequent rape of the girl properly. A Vigilance Enquiry had indicted the Station House Officer of Gandhi Nagar Police for dereliction of duty.
Prabhakar has been replaced by Ajay Kumar, an IPS officer of 2001 batch who was handling the PM Security.
Chhaya Sharma, a 1999-batch officer who was heading South Delhi district as its Deputy Commissioner of Police, was transferred to Mizoram. DCP (Outer) B S Jaiswal, a 2001 batch officer, replaces her.
Sharma had headed the South district when the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus on December 16 last year, took place.
A senior police official said the transfer of Prabhakar came against the backdrop of the rape incident and it was "obvious".
On Sharma`s transfer, the official said AGMU cadre officers have to serve outside Delhi also and her posting to Mizoram was due.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said the transfers were "routine".
Sanjay Kumar, an officer of 1998 batch, has been posted as new Additional Commissioner of Police. He is now Additional Commissioner of Police in the Prime Minister`s Security.
Vivek Kishore, an officer of 1999 batch who is at present the Deputy Commissioner in charge of Headquarters, has also been transfered to Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters