Mirchpur killings: Absconding accused surrenders in court
New Delhi: One of the absconding accused, who had escaped from police custody, in the 2010 Mirchpur Dalit killings case has surrendered before a Delhi court.
Accused Jasbir, who fled on May 24 last year when he was being brought to the Rohini court here along with other accused for a hearing, has surrendered before Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau, who had decided the case last year.
The court had declared Jasbir a proclaimed offender. The ASJ has now called the investigating officer on the case to identify the accused.
"Investigating Officer is directed to appear in person to identify the accused on September 3 and the applicant (Jasbir) is sent to judicial custody till then," the judge said.
"Meanwhile information be sent to Police Station Prashant Vihar where the accused is required in another case. Main file be called," the ASJ added.
On April 21, 2010, a 70-year-old man and his 18-year-old physically-challenged daughter were burnt alive allegedly by a mob of over 100 people of Jat community at Mirchpur village of Haryana`s Hisar district. The mob belonging to the dominant Jat community had also burnt down 18 Dalit houses.
The case was transferred to Delhi by the Supreme Court on the plea of the families of the victims.
Fifteen persons were convicted while 82 were acquitted in the case. In October last year, the court sentenced three persons to life imprisonment while others were sentenced to varying jail terms and fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!