MLA LAD funds: Delhi BJP demands judicial probe into bungling
New Delhi: The Delhi BJP on Wednesday demanded a judicial probe into alleged irregularities in spending of over Rs 400 crore by government agencies between 2008-11 under the Member of Legislative Assembly Local Area Development (MLA LAD) scheme.
In an RTI reply, it came to light last week that no utilisation certificate was provided by the concerned agencies for expenditure of Rs 404.76 crore under the scheme.
"The Lt Governor should order a judicial inquiry into the failure of the government to keep details of the expenditure to the tune of Rs 400 crore," Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta said in a statement.
The Urban Development department of the Delhi government had released the amount to a number of agencies during 2008-09 to 2010-11.
"However, no accounts were submitted by these agencies to the Urban Development department. In absence of the accounts it may not be ensured whether these funds were fully utilised or not and how much funds are lying unutilised with the agencies," a CAG draft audit for 2010-11, copy of which was provided under RTI to advocate Vivek Garg, said.
Holding the Delhi government responsible for the alleged irregularities in utilisation of the funds, Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta demanded punishment to those involved in the "bungling".
All the 70 MLAs in Delhi get Rs 4 crore each under the MLA LAD scheme for carrying out various infrastructure projects in their constituencies. The Urban Development department of the Delhi government is the nodal agency for release of the funds.
"Efforts may be made to obtain the expenditure statement from the agencies for the period mentioned above (2008-09 to 2010-11) and even earlier period also so that the amount of unspent balance could be ascertained under intimation to audit," the draft audit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Yogi Adityanath's speech on his first visit to Gorakhpur after becoming UP CM
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?