MLA LAD funds: Delhi BJP demands judicial probe into bungling
New Delhi: The Delhi BJP on Wednesday demanded a judicial probe into alleged irregularities in spending of over Rs 400 crore by government agencies between 2008-11 under the Member of Legislative Assembly Local Area Development (MLA LAD) scheme.
In an RTI reply, it came to light last week that no utilisation certificate was provided by the concerned agencies for expenditure of Rs 404.76 crore under the scheme.
"The Lt Governor should order a judicial inquiry into the failure of the government to keep details of the expenditure to the tune of Rs 400 crore," Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta said in a statement.
The Urban Development department of the Delhi government had released the amount to a number of agencies during 2008-09 to 2010-11.
"However, no accounts were submitted by these agencies to the Urban Development department. In absence of the accounts it may not be ensured whether these funds were fully utilised or not and how much funds are lying unutilised with the agencies," a CAG draft audit for 2010-11, copy of which was provided under RTI to advocate Vivek Garg, said.
Holding the Delhi government responsible for the alleged irregularities in utilisation of the funds, Delhi BJP president Vijender Gupta demanded punishment to those involved in the "bungling".
All the 70 MLAs in Delhi get Rs 4 crore each under the MLA LAD scheme for carrying out various infrastructure projects in their constituencies. The Urban Development department of the Delhi government is the nodal agency for release of the funds.
"Efforts may be made to obtain the expenditure statement from the agencies for the period mentioned above (2008-09 to 2010-11) and even earlier period also so that the amount of unspent balance could be ascertained under intimation to audit," the draft audit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY