Nearly 24,000 Delhiites fined for tinted glasses
New Delhi: About 24,000 people have been prosecuted for tinted glasses on their vehicles and Rs.24 lakh collected in fines for the violation since the start of the drive May 4 in the national capital, a top traffic police official said on Friday.
"We have fined 23,749 people and collected about Rs.24 lakh in fines till yesterday (Thursday) in the drive against tinted glasses that started May 4," Joint Commissioner of Police (traffic) Satyendra Garg said.
"Maximum violations were reported from west Delhi with 6,869 prosecutions followed by south Delhi with 6,592 being challaned. North Delhi was third with 4,611 fined followed by central and east Delhi with 3,692 and 1,985 prosecutions, respectively," he said.
Apart from being fined, the sun control films on the violators` vehicles were removed by the traffic police on the spot, he said.
On the first day, close to 5,000 people were fined but now that number has dropped a bit with an average of over 3,000 prosecutions taking place daily.
"I am sure those who have been fined won`t be getting their glasses tinted again but there are many violators still left. We want the number of violators to be absolutely zero," he said.
The Supreme Court banned the use of black films of any visible light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material on the front and rear screens and windows of all vehicles throughout the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?