Nearly 24,000 Delhiites fined for tinted glasses
New Delhi: About 24,000 people have been prosecuted for tinted glasses on their vehicles and Rs.24 lakh collected in fines for the violation since the start of the drive May 4 in the national capital, a top traffic police official said on Friday.
"We have fined 23,749 people and collected about Rs.24 lakh in fines till yesterday (Thursday) in the drive against tinted glasses that started May 4," Joint Commissioner of Police (traffic) Satyendra Garg said.
"Maximum violations were reported from west Delhi with 6,869 prosecutions followed by south Delhi with 6,592 being challaned. North Delhi was third with 4,611 fined followed by central and east Delhi with 3,692 and 1,985 prosecutions, respectively," he said.
Apart from being fined, the sun control films on the violators` vehicles were removed by the traffic police on the spot, he said.
On the first day, close to 5,000 people were fined but now that number has dropped a bit with an average of over 3,000 prosecutions taking place daily.
"I am sure those who have been fined won`t be getting their glasses tinted again but there are many violators still left. We want the number of violators to be absolutely zero," he said.
The Supreme Court banned the use of black films of any visible light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material on the front and rear screens and windows of all vehicles throughout the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report