New norms now for stray cattle auction: MCD to HC
New Delhi: City civic body MCD on Wednesday told
the Delhi High Court that it has framed a set of new norms to
ensure that stray cattle, caught by it, are auctioned only
after giving sufficient time and opportunity to their owners
to reclaim and relocate them.
The Municipal Council of Delhi made this submission to
the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv
Khanna in an affidavit filed in response to a public interest
lawsuit alleging that the civic body auctioned stray cattle,
seized by it, hurriedly and clandestinely to butchers
without giving the cattle owners any time to reclaim and
relocate their lost cattle.
The PIL had been filed by the Citizens for the Welfare
and Protection of Animals, a registered trust. It had said
that its members, during some of their recent visits to
Timarpur Cattle Pound, had found sick animals being auctioned
to butchers in a clandestine manner.
The petitioner had also sought appointment of trained
staff and veterinarians for the cattle pounds to provide the
animals better facilities and treatment.
The bench earlier had sought a status report from the MCD
and the Animal Welfare Board on the PIL, while directing the
civic agency to appoint a nodal officer to curb the
possibility of illegal and clandestine auctioning of cattle by
cattle pound officials.
With the MCD filing its affidavit today, the court sought
replies from the petitioner as well as the management of
Timarpur Cattle Pound and fixed September 28 for further
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’