New norms now for stray cattle auction: MCD to HC
New Delhi: City civic body MCD on Wednesday told
the Delhi High Court that it has framed a set of new norms to
ensure that stray cattle, caught by it, are auctioned only
after giving sufficient time and opportunity to their owners
to reclaim and relocate them.
The Municipal Council of Delhi made this submission to
the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv
Khanna in an affidavit filed in response to a public interest
lawsuit alleging that the civic body auctioned stray cattle,
seized by it, hurriedly and clandestinely to butchers
without giving the cattle owners any time to reclaim and
relocate their lost cattle.
The PIL had been filed by the Citizens for the Welfare
and Protection of Animals, a registered trust. It had said
that its members, during some of their recent visits to
Timarpur Cattle Pound, had found sick animals being auctioned
to butchers in a clandestine manner.
The petitioner had also sought appointment of trained
staff and veterinarians for the cattle pounds to provide the
animals better facilities and treatment.
The bench earlier had sought a status report from the MCD
and the Animal Welfare Board on the PIL, while directing the
civic agency to appoint a nodal officer to curb the
possibility of illegal and clandestine auctioning of cattle by
cattle pound officials.
With the MCD filing its affidavit today, the court sought
replies from the petitioner as well as the management of
Timarpur Cattle Pound and fixed September 28 for further
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day