Nine DU college principals fined for flouting RTI
New Delhi: Principals of nine Delhi University (DU) colleges have been fined Rs.5,000 each for not complying with the Right To Information (RTI) Act rule of placing information about their college in the public domain.
The Central Information Commission (CIC) acted against the principals for not following Section 4 of the RTI Act, which mandates suo moto disclosure by public institutions regarding budget, rules, expenditure and name of its Public Information Officer among other things.
The CIC moved following a complaint from Rajeev Lala.
The colleges whose principals have been fined are Sri Aurobindo College, Aditi Mahavidyalaya, Bharti College, Mata Sundari College for Women, Swami Shraddhanand College, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies, Ram Lal Anand College, Rajkumari Amrit Kaur College of Nursing and Amar Jyoti Rehabilitation and Research Centre. The DU has over 80 colleges.
The CIC has directed that the fine money be recovered from the principals` salaries before Dec 10.
Lala in his complaint stated that he visited the website of these colleges and found they had not displayed the information as required by Section 4 of the RTI Act.
On June 7, Shailesh Gandhi, an information commissioner at the CIC, along with DU Vice Chancellor Deepak Pental had urged all colleges to ensure that they comply with Section 4 by Aug 15.
The commission sent reminders to the colleges warning that it would be forced to act if the order was not implemented.
The CIC held a hearing Nov 24 where it asked the college principals to appear with written submissions on "why penalty should not be imposed on them for refusing to meet their legal obligations under the act".
Some promised to follow the requirement within three months and some within a day. Some principals expressed regret.
The commission said that even four years after the RTI Act was passed, legal requirements under it have still not been met by the colleges.
"In spite of repeated reminders the college does not appear to be willing to meet the Section 4 requirements of the act," Gandhi noted in his order for each college. "The commission finds this as a fit case for penalty."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm