No safety for women on Delhi roads: Supreme Court
New Delhi: Holding that there was no safety for women on Delhi`s roads, the Supreme Court said on Friday: "We are failing to treat women with dignity, equality and respect."
The observation came as the court issued notice to the central government, the National Commission for Women and the Delhi government`s State Transport Authority on a public suit questioning the validity of the two finger test conducted on rape victims.
The court was told that the invasive two finger test was against the dignity of women.
The suit also sought the setting up of a criminal injury compensation board in the country.
An apex court bench of Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Dipak Misra issued the notice on a petition filed by Nipun Saxena, a fourth year student of Delhi`s National Law University.
Saxena contended that the court`s direction 16 years ago to establish the compensation board had not been followed so far.
The notice was issued to the State Transport Authority on the plea that permits of private buses that do not comply with the Motor Vehicles Act should not be renewed.
The public suit comes in the wake of the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus on December 16 and her subsequent death in a Singapore hospital where she was airlifted for specialised treatment. The incident sparked outrage across India and led to calls for stricter laws against rape and molestation of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!