No safety for women on Delhi roads: Supreme Court
New Delhi: Holding that there was no safety for women on Delhi`s roads, the Supreme Court said on Friday: "We are failing to treat women with dignity, equality and respect."
The observation came as the court issued notice to the central government, the National Commission for Women and the Delhi government`s State Transport Authority on a public suit questioning the validity of the two finger test conducted on rape victims.
The court was told that the invasive two finger test was against the dignity of women.
The suit also sought the setting up of a criminal injury compensation board in the country.
An apex court bench of Justice KS Radhakrishnan and Justice Dipak Misra issued the notice on a petition filed by Nipun Saxena, a fourth year student of Delhi`s National Law University.
Saxena contended that the court`s direction 16 years ago to establish the compensation board had not been followed so far.
The notice was issued to the State Transport Authority on the plea that permits of private buses that do not comply with the Motor Vehicles Act should not be renewed.
The public suit comes in the wake of the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman in a moving bus on December 16 and her subsequent death in a Singapore hospital where she was airlifted for specialised treatment. The incident sparked outrage across India and led to calls for stricter laws against rape and molestation of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow