No shortfall in CNG supply to Delhi, NCR: Centre tells HC
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday told the Delhi High Court that there would be no shortfall in CNG supply to the national capital following new guidelines by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas even as the city government apprehended rise in price in case of reduction of allocation.
The guidelines, which may cause reduction in supply of CNG to Delhi, were issued in pursuance of a Gujarat High Court order that Ahmedabad should also get the fuel for domestic and vehicular usage at the same rate applicable to Delhi and Mumbai to enforce the right of equality.
The supply of CNG is not affected in Delhi as the shortfall in domestic supply is being offset by import of CNG, the counsel for the Ministry said.
Justice Manmohan granted a week`s time to the Centre to file its response to a petition filed by Delhi Contract Bus Association seeking that "the allocation and supply of domestic gas to the city of Delhi and National Capital Region through respondent 2 (Indraprastha Gas Ltd) be not reduced."
Meanwhile, Delhi government expressed apprehension that the Petroleum Ministry guidelines will have an adverse impact on commercial vehicle operators and any reduction in CNG allocation to Delhi would lead to fillip in prices of CNG and essential commodities.
The plea said the "guidelines for allocation/supply of domestic natural gas" to City Gas Distribution (CGD) entities for CNG (transport) and PNG (domestic) were "arbitrary, illegal, unconstitutional" and contrary to a 2002 apex court order.
The Gujarat HC had directed the Ministry to maintain uniformity in allotment of natural gas and provide the fuel to Ahmedabad at the same rate it is supplied to Delhi and Mumbai.
According to subsequent guidelines issued on November 14, 2013, the Centre decided to redistribute 5.75 MMSCMD (which is the present share of domestic gas in the entire consumption of gas for transport and domestic sector) among all entities/ cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie