Notices to civic agencies, police on encroachment on roads
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday sought the response of the Muncipal Corporation Development (MCD), the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and Delhi Police on a plea of South Delhi residents for action against traders allegedly encroaching on public space and illgeally parked trucks and taxis causing traffic jams.
Justice GS Sistani, who had earlier allowed the Jangpura Residents Welfare Association (RWA) to become a party to the original contempt plea filed by the Defence Colony Flyover Association, issued notices to the civic agencies and the city`s deputy commissioner of traffic police and sought their responses by March 23.
In the petition filed through advocate RK Saini, the Jangpura residents alleged that despite repeated representations to police and other civic agencies like the DDA and the MCD, illegal parking of trucks, taxis and encroachment by the shops continued.
Accusing the authorities of failing to act against the encroachers in the past few years, the residents said their association is concerned with smooth flow of traffic and wants to ensure that footpath remains available for pedestrians.
The RWA informed the court that widespread encroachment of public spaces by shopkeepers and traders has led to traffic snarls.
"Regular traffic jams and congestion throughout the day is common even as footpaths for pedestrians have completely vanished", Saini argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video