Paternity suit: SC asks Tiwari to undergo DNA test
New Delhi: Refusing to give any relief to Congress leader ND Tiwari, the Supreme Court on Tuesday directed him to give his blood sample for DNA test on a paternity suit against him, saying "enough is enough".
"Enough is enough, you were not present on earlier occasions. Having regard to your age, we told you to give sample in a sealed cover. We gave you protection under Article 21, but enough is enough," said a bench of justices Aftab Alam and C K Prasad.
The direction was given on a paternity suit filed by Rohit Shekhar, who claims himself to be the biological son of 86-year-old Tiwari.
"Give the blood sample, what is the problem with that?" the bench told Tiwari`s counsel Sushil Jain during the hearing of Tiwari`s last year`s plea, still pending with the apex court.
Tiwari had challenged the high court`s December 23, 2010 order, asking him to undergo the DNA test.
On the last hearings of his plea in March 2011, the Supreme Court had given Tiwari the option to convey to the high court his preferred mode of undergoing DNA test - either through examination of the blood sample or his saliva or hair strand.
The apex court had earlier also assured Tiwari that his DNA test result would not be made public unless it would be unavoidable in the interest of justice.
But with Tiwari not agreeing to undergo a DNA test, the apex court had asked him to go back to the high court with his plea.
In the high court, Tiwari contended that he cannot be physically compelled to give his blood sample for his DNA test.
He even won on this count with a single-judge bench of the high court ruling that he cannot be physically challenged to give his blood sample.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security