Power supply hit in Delhi
New Delhi: Several parts of the national
capital reeled under power cuts for long hours on Thursday with the
electricity department blaming it on tripping of lines due to
a combination of dense fog and pollution.
Areas in East Delhi, Northwest Delhi and South Delhi
like Geeta Colony, Rohini, Mehrauli, Mahipalpur, Patparganj,
Laxmi Nagar and Sabzi Mandi suffered the most as efforts to
restore power supply took more than the usual time.
Some areas witnessed power failure for more than six
Power Department officials said the problem started at
around 2.00 am as thick fog descended on the capital.
"Due to dense fog, moisture was developed and it led to
short circuit and subsequent tripping of electric lines," a
Transco spokesperson said.
Restoration of power supply was affected as many lines
which were rectified tripped again, officials said.
The frequent tripping was also attributed to pollution in
the city with officials pointing out that dust particles were
accumulated on lines which led to short circuit after moisture
was developed due to fog.
"Pollution in city is one reason. Dust particles get
accumulated on the electric line. Moisture is developed when
there is fog. This leads to short circuit on the line," the
Even after some lines were repaired, the officials said,
they tripped again.
The interruption in power supply gave a difficult time to
Delhiites on a cold day with some complaining that they could
not operate room and water heaters.
"We did not bargain for this. In the morning, one has to
go to office and could not work the heater. I had to use gas
to heat water," said Abishek Sharma, an engineer residing in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan