Prez enrolls herself in National Population Register
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil on Friday got herself enrolled under the National Population Register (NPR) and asked the people to get themselves registered for the country`s flagship programme.
"It gives me great pleasure to enroll for the NPR exercise. I appeal to all the citizens of India to enroll themselves at the earliest, as it is not just a matter of right but their duty as well," she said after her biometric enrollment including finger print and eye scan at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The NPR is a comprehensive identity database maintained by the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
The demographic data for the creation of the NPR was collected for the entire country during April to September 2010 through house-to-house enumeration.
The data has since been digitized and currently, biometric enrollment is in progress.
"Once collected, the NPR data along with biometrics would be sent to UIDAI for de-duplication and degeneration of UID numbers (Aadhar)," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson said in a statement.
The government also proposed to issue Resident Identity (Smart) cards under NPR.
Registration in the NPR is mandatory for all usual residents of the country under the Citizenship Act 1955 and Citizenship Rules 2003.
The enrollment procedure took place in presence of a team led by Union Home Secretary R K Singh and including Census Commissioner C Chandramouli, Deputy Director General (NPR) S K Chakrabarti and Director of Census Operation (Delhi) Varsha Joshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks