Prez for women, youth participation in cooperatives
Describing cooperatives as useful institutions for inclusive growth, President Pratibha Patil emphasised the need to expand their scope by seeking greater participation of women and youths.
The conference was organised by Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO) during the course of the UN International Year of Cooperatives.
She said education institutions should hold courses on cooperatives in their campuses so that youth can develop an understanding and appreciation of the co-operative movement.
Highlighting importance of cooperative, Patil said over one billion people globally are members of one cooperative or another.
In India alone there are over 249 million members of about six lakh cooperative societies in a range of agricultural activities such as credit, fertilisers, production, processing as well as other sectors like housing, dairying and textiles, she added.
Patil said a resounding success of cooperatives in India is its `White revolution` which made the country the world`s largest producer of milk and dairy products.
IFFCO, another cooperative that took shape in 1967 has emerged as the world`s largest cooperative and meets almost one-third demand for fertiliser in the country, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory