Repair work of Airport Metro to end by October:
New Delhi: More than two months after the Airport Metro Express line was shut down by the concessionaire citing safety concerns, Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath Monday said repair work on the premier line is expected to end in October.
Kamal Nath was responding to reporters who asked him about the status of the Airport Metro, the country`s first public-private partnership Metro project, which suspended its services July 8 after structural faults were detected.
"We are expecting the repair work on the Airport Metro Express Line to be completed by the end of October," Kamal Nath said.
The minister was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a FICCI conference on "Urban Infrastructure - PPP for Better Public Service".
Kamal Nath also added that mono rail can be 40 percent cheaper than Metro.
"Monorail is 40 percent cheaper than metro and it can do much sharper curves. It can go up and down, which the metro cannot. The monorail corridor would provide intra-city transport service in congested localities, where the metro and even buses may find plying difficult," the minister said.
The urban development ministry decided to identify and develop monorail corridors in various parts of Delhi and other states as well.
"The monorails will provide an efficient transport system and will also act as a feeder system to the metro. All cities must look for monorail, it is very convenient... the government will support this," the minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know