RS adjourned twice on Army Chief`s letter to PM
New Delhi: Army Chief Gen V K Singh`s letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the state of affairs in the service on Wednesday rocked the Rajya Sabha with opposition members forcing two adjournments during the Question Hour.
Soon after the House met for the day, the Opposition led by BJP wanted to know the contents of the letter and the government`s response to it.
"What action has the government taken?" senior BJP leader
M Venkaiah Naidu sought to know.
JD-U member Shivanand Tiwari demanded dismissal of the
Army Chief for "gross indiscipline".
"He should be removed from the post... The way he is
talking to the press... This is gross indiscipline. We demand
that he should be dismissed," he said.
Chairman Hamid Ansari`s repeated efforts to pacify the
members did not succeed as others in the Opposition from
CPI-M, Shiv Sena and Samajwadi Party also joined the chorus.
Defence Minister A K Antony then said, "Regarding the
letter of the Army Chief to the Prime Minister, which he (Army
Chief) said is a top secret letter, I am aware of the letter.
It should not have come out, government will respond to it
However, an unrelenting BJP insisted that the government
make clear its course of action on the issue.
As the din continued, Ansari adjourned the House for 15
When the House re-assembled, Naidu and others from the
Opposition asked, "What is the follow-up action? What is the
content of the letter?"
Ansari`s attempt to proceed with the Question Hour again
did not succeed and he adjourned the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year