SAD councillors decide to quit after spar with BJP
New Delhi: All five councillors of Shiromani
Akali Dal on Wednesday decided to resign from BJP-ruled MCD as major
differences cropped up between the two allies over finalising
the candidates for coming Mayor and Deputy Mayor`s election.
The councillors are Jathedar Avtar Singh Hit, S Manjinder
Singh Sirsa, Mandeep Kaur Bakshi, Jatinder Singh Shunty and
Captain Inderpreet Singh. The SAD complained that the BJP took
a final decision on candidates for the two posts as well as
for three vacant positions in the MCD Standing Committee
without consulting it.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta, however, expressed
confidence that the differences will be resolved soon. "We are
working it out and the matter will be resolved," he said.
"To my surprise none from the alliance partner BJP took
the initiative to mutually discuss (the matter) with me or my
party High Command before announcing your final decision," SAD
Delhi state chief Manjit Singh GK said in a letter to Gupta,
to which he has also attached the resignation letter of the
five members addressed to the Municipal Secretary.
"Your final decision came to my notice through various
media and unofficial sources. By this action, BJP have broken
the trust and sanctity of the alliance. In an urgent party
meeting held today, it has been decided that our councillors
will resign from the corporation under protest," he said.
Councillor Avtar Singh Hit said the BJP has not adjusted
any of the SAD members in any vacant posts. He, however, added
that further discussions are being held on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution
- Massive reef ecosystem found hiding behind Great Barrier Reef