SAD councillors decide to quit after spar with BJP
New Delhi: All five councillors of Shiromani
Akali Dal on Wednesday decided to resign from BJP-ruled MCD as major
differences cropped up between the two allies over finalising
the candidates for coming Mayor and Deputy Mayor`s election.
The councillors are Jathedar Avtar Singh Hit, S Manjinder
Singh Sirsa, Mandeep Kaur Bakshi, Jatinder Singh Shunty and
Captain Inderpreet Singh. The SAD complained that the BJP took
a final decision on candidates for the two posts as well as
for three vacant positions in the MCD Standing Committee
without consulting it.
Delhi BJP chief Vijender Gupta, however, expressed
confidence that the differences will be resolved soon. "We are
working it out and the matter will be resolved," he said.
"To my surprise none from the alliance partner BJP took
the initiative to mutually discuss (the matter) with me or my
party High Command before announcing your final decision," SAD
Delhi state chief Manjit Singh GK said in a letter to Gupta,
to which he has also attached the resignation letter of the
five members addressed to the Municipal Secretary.
"Your final decision came to my notice through various
media and unofficial sources. By this action, BJP have broken
the trust and sanctity of the alliance. In an urgent party
meeting held today, it has been decided that our councillors
will resign from the corporation under protest," he said.
Councillor Avtar Singh Hit said the BJP has not adjusted
any of the SAD members in any vacant posts. He, however, added
that further discussions are being held on the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living