Safety of women tops Delhi CM`s priority list
New Delhi: Delhi Police Commissioner BS Bassi after a meeting with Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday said that Kejriwal`s priority was the safety of women in Delhi.
"The CM has shared his vision with me and we have the same vision that women should feel safe in Delhi which is the priority. Other issues will be discussed later," said Bassi.
"I have given some details and have had a discussed. We want to give a clean Delhi to people," he said.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal was sworn-in as the seventh chief minister of Delhi at noon on Saturday by Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung.
Along with Kejriwal, six other AAP MLAs were also administered oath of office and secrecy.
The swearing-in ceremony was witnessed by tens of thousands of people, a majority of them AAP supporters, who cheered boisterously as the oath was taken. They also waved coloured balloons and the tricolor.
Earlier, Kejriwal and AAP MLAs traveled to the formal swearing-in ceremony at Delhi`s Ram Lila Ground on the Delhi Metro.
Kejriwal becomes Delhi`s youngest chief minister today at the age of 45.
After the oath-taking ceremony, Kejriwal and AAP legislators will hold their first cabinet meeting. They are expected to work on Sunday as well.
He has been asked to prove his majority in the state assembly by January 3.
The former Indian Revenue Service official has promised to disassemble Delhi`s VIP culture. Neither he, nor other AAP lawmakers will use the flashing red lights that give politicians` cars the right of way on roads. They have also refused large government bungalows and say they want small flats as their official accommodation.
It was those principles and a declaration of war against corruption that gave AAP 28 seats and a second place finish in the December 4 elections.
The BJP and allies got the most -- 32 -- while the Congress finished third with just eight seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days