Sajjan Kumar seeks documents relating to 1984 anti-Sikh riots
New Delhi: Congress leader Sajjan Kumar Monday filed an application before a Delhi court seeking certain documents relating to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases allegedly involving him and others.
Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta asked the CBI to file its reply on the application on April 7.
Kumar, in his plea, sought records relating to the two cases pertaining to the riots that took place following the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
The documents included judicial as well as police records of certain cases registered at police station Sultanpuri and copy of memorandum of action taken on the report of Justice G T Nanavati Commission of inquiry which was set up to inquire into riots of 1984.
CBI counsel Y K Saxena submitted that similar sort of plea of the accused has already been dismissed by the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM).
The court, however, directed the CBI to file its reply.
Senior counsel H S phoolka informed the court that the trial court has to conclude the proceedings in the cases within six months.
Meanwhile, the court reserved its order on the bail plea of Girdhari Lal, an accused who is in judicial custody.
A special CBI court at Karkardooma had on March 27 disallowed the plea of Khushal Singh, one of the accused in the case, who had sought transfer of cases by raising bjection over its jurisdiction, but had sent the case files to the District Judge to seek proper allocation for hearing.
The District and Sessions Judge on April one transferred the two 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases from Special CBI Judge to a Sessions court at Karkardooma here.
The CBI had filed two chargesheets on January 13 in the riots cases registered on the recommendation of Justice G T Nanavati Commission which had inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’