SC allows CP shootout victim`s widow to oppose Rathi`s appeal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has agreed to
hear the widow of businessman Pradeep Goyal, shot dead in
Connaught Place here in March 1997 by a Delhi police team
mistaking him to be a gangster, during adjudication of the
appeal of the team leader and former ACP SS Rathi against his
conviction in the case.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and BS Chauhan
allowed Goyal`s widow Neema to be a party in the appeal filed
by Rathi, agreeing with her submission that it would be in
the interest of justice to the victim.
"If the applicant (Goyal) is not impleaded as party
respondent in the aforesaid criminal appeal, then irreparable
loss and injury may be caused to the present applicant," Neema
Goyal had submitted in her application filed through advocate
Pradeep was one of the two innocent persons killed in the
encounter carried out by the Delhi Police on March 31, 1997.
Rathi, who had headed the police team during the
encounter, was convicted for murder and sentenced to life
imprisonment by a Delhi court in October 2007.
The Delhi High Court had in September 2009 upheld the
trial court ruling, dismissing the appeals filed by Rathi and
other convicts in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day