SC allows CP shootout victim`s widow to oppose Rathi`s appeal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has agreed to
hear the widow of businessman Pradeep Goyal, shot dead in
Connaught Place here in March 1997 by a Delhi police team
mistaking him to be a gangster, during adjudication of the
appeal of the team leader and former ACP SS Rathi against his
conviction in the case.
A bench of justices P Sathasivam and BS Chauhan
allowed Goyal`s widow Neema to be a party in the appeal filed
by Rathi, agreeing with her submission that it would be in
the interest of justice to the victim.
"If the applicant (Goyal) is not impleaded as party
respondent in the aforesaid criminal appeal, then irreparable
loss and injury may be caused to the present applicant," Neema
Goyal had submitted in her application filed through advocate
Pradeep was one of the two innocent persons killed in the
encounter carried out by the Delhi Police on March 31, 1997.
Rathi, who had headed the police team during the
encounter, was convicted for murder and sentenced to life
imprisonment by a Delhi court in October 2007.
The Delhi High Court had in September 2009 upheld the
trial court ruling, dismissing the appeals filed by Rathi and
other convicts in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez