SC indicates CBI probe in MNREGA irregularities in
New Delhi: After Odisha, alleged irregularities in utilisation of MNREGA funds in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh may also come under CBI probe with the Supreme Court on Monday saying it will pass an order in this regard.
The apex court, which had earlier directed CBI probe on the irregularities in six districts of Odisha on the basis of survey reports, CAG report and the National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD), said that it would pass order pertaining to other two states also.
A bench of justices Swatanter Kumar and SJ Mukhopadhaya said it would take up the case of alleged irregularities in the state of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh on November 6 and pass the order.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by an NGO, Centre for Environment and Food Security, seeking its direction for the CBI probe into the large scale irregularities in the implementation of the scheme in Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
The court had on May 12 last year issued notice to the governments of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh on allegations irregularities and diversion of funds for the MNREGA.
The NGO which had conducted a survey had claimed to have found alleged irregularities in implementation of the scheme.
Advocate Prashant Bhushan, appearing for the NGO, brought to the notice of the bench the letters written by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh to the Uttar Pradesh government about the alleged diversion of MNREGA funds.
The court had on May 12, 2011 directed CBI probe into the alleged corruption in utilisation of MNREGA funds in the districts of Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna, Koraput and Malakangiri of Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla