`Sheila govt has dampened festive mood by inept handling of price situation`
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
New Delhi: Delhi BJP leader Vijay Goel blamed the Congress government for the rise in prices and said that the mood of the festive season had been dampened due to the inept handling of the situation.
Vijay Goel tweeted today – "It`s due to Congress` mismanagement, prices of essential commodities like onions are being sold at the year`s highest prices across Delhi."
He also tweeted – "The overall production of onions this year has been estimated 10-15% higher than the previous year, yet people are facing shortage."
At the same time the BJP leader blamed the government of Sheila Dikshit for dampening the festive mood of the people by the way they had handled the situation.
"The festival season is around but the Sheila govt has dampened the mood of festivity owing to its inept handling of the price situation," he further tweeted.
Goel added, "For several months, onions are being sold between Rs 70 and Rs 90 in the city."
In Delhi the onions were being sold at Rs 90 per kg. In other parts of the country it was reportedly being sold at around Rs 80 per kg. The prices are said to have been more than doubled in the past four months.
Meanwhile, the Centre is mulling to import onion in order to stabilise prices. Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma said that the government would import if there was a proposal to do so and if there was a requirement, as per reports in a news agency. He also blamed the holders for the escalation in prices.
However, at the same time the Union Minister reassured everyone that there was enough stock of onion in the country and hoped that prices would go down by the end of year when fresh domestic products would arrive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters