Speculation over Delhi Police Commissioner`s fate
New Delhi: Speculation is rife over the fate of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of recent rape of a five-year-old girl and police insensitivity in handling it.
There are reports that Kumar may be shifted out of the key post and Special Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi may be asked to take charge as new Delhi Police chief.
Home Ministry sources said Kumar, a 1976 batch IPS officer, who faced widespread criticism over the handling of December 16 gang rape of a girl in a moving bus and its fallout, may be transferred to the Bureau of Police Research and Development or asked to go on leave. Kumar is due to retire in July.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde is said to be unhappy with Delhi Police`s handling of rape of the five-year-old girl, manhandling of West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra as well as the storming of his house by protesters recently.
Interestingly, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, who is critical of the Delhi Police over the handling of public protests over the December 16 gangrape of a girl, and Bassi, a 1977 batch IPS officer, met the Home Minister separately.
When contacted about the speculation about the Delhi Police Commissioner, Shinde said "so far no decision has been taken".
Sources said Shinde wants to effect a reshuffle in the Home Ministry in the level of Joint Secretary and the Additional Secretary as well as in the Delhi Police, which directly reports to him.
He had already got a new Home Secretary (Anil Goswami) appointed more than two months before the incumbent R K Singh demits the office.
Goswami, who joined today as Officer on Special Duty, started attending key meetings with the Home Minister.
A reshuffle was also effected in Delhi Police today among its middle-level officers assigning new jobs to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe