Speculation over Delhi Police Commissioner`s fate
New Delhi: Speculation is rife over the fate of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the wake of recent rape of a five-year-old girl and police insensitivity in handling it.
There are reports that Kumar may be shifted out of the key post and Special Commissioner Bhim Sain Bassi may be asked to take charge as new Delhi Police chief.
Home Ministry sources said Kumar, a 1976 batch IPS officer, who faced widespread criticism over the handling of December 16 gang rape of a girl in a moving bus and its fallout, may be transferred to the Bureau of Police Research and Development or asked to go on leave. Kumar is due to retire in July.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde is said to be unhappy with Delhi Police`s handling of rape of the five-year-old girl, manhandling of West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra as well as the storming of his house by protesters recently.
Interestingly, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, who is critical of the Delhi Police over the handling of public protests over the December 16 gangrape of a girl, and Bassi, a 1977 batch IPS officer, met the Home Minister separately.
When contacted about the speculation about the Delhi Police Commissioner, Shinde said "so far no decision has been taken".
Sources said Shinde wants to effect a reshuffle in the Home Ministry in the level of Joint Secretary and the Additional Secretary as well as in the Delhi Police, which directly reports to him.
He had already got a new Home Secretary (Anil Goswami) appointed more than two months before the incumbent R K Singh demits the office.
Goswami, who joined today as Officer on Special Duty, started attending key meetings with the Home Minister.
A reshuffle was also effected in Delhi Police today among its middle-level officers assigning new jobs to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!