Spiritual guru appeals to Muslim groups on Vishwaroopam row
New Delhi: Spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on Monday asked the Muslim community not to protest against Vishwaroopam, saying "movies are meant for entertainment and the best thing is to just laugh and let go."
"I will say the best thing is just laugh and let go, smile and let go and just because of some depicting about a community in some bad light or whatever way, people are not going to take it seriously and the communal harmony will never be disturbed," said Shankar.
The movie which was slated to be released on January 25 was stopped from screening in Tamil Nadu after a section of Muslim community objected to it for depicting Muslims in a bad light.
Drawing a parallel from the recent movie "Oh My God" where he alleged that Hindu culture is depicted in a very bad light, Shankar said that he advised against protesting because "protesting and banning a movie only gives them more publicity".
"It (Oh My God) was openly derogratory for worshipping puja style and criticising every aspect of the Hindu culture and there was a big uproar and many organisations, many people, many ashrams wanted to protest. So, whenever you protest, whenever you ban something it gives much more publicity, so let them be, let them say what they want to say, it just dies down," said Shankar.
He further said relations between Hindus and Muslims wouldn`t be affected by this movie.
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- IPL 2016: Rising Pune Supergiants fail yet again as Gujarat Lions continue strong run in maiden season
- AgustaWestland deal: Centre rejects charge that PM Modi struck deal with Italy
- Man wanted in 14 cases arrested after gun-battle in Odisha, 2 injured
- Pakistan playing to gallery in publicising Kashmir issue: Ex-envoy SK Lambah
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) and HSSLC (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared on May 3