Uphaar fire: Hearing against Ansals` adjourned
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday adjourned till
May 11 the hearing in a case involving Uphaar cinema hall
owners Sushil and Gopal Ansal, facing prosecution for
allegedly tampering with judicial records relating to case of
the 1997 fire which killed 59 cine goers.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Amit
Bansal adjourned the hearing as counsel for accused Sushil
Ansal was not present today. During the proceedings, the
counsel for prosecution advanced his arguments.
Delhi Police had earlier approached the court seeking
imposition of "conditions" for bail for the Ansal`s saying the
case pertains to offences of destruction of judicial records
and fabricating of false evidences and thus conditions were
required to be imposed on the accused.
Association of the Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT) said
that the matter has been adjourning continuously from past 10
dates of hearing and till now even the arguments on charges
have not began in the case.
Earlier, Ansals and four other accused -- Anoop Singh,
Prem Prakash Batra, Harswaroop Panwar and Dharamveer Malhotra
-- were granted bail in the case on furnishing of a personal
and surety bond of Rs one lakh each as a pre-condition.
The court, however, had not imposed the restrictive and
necessary conditions such as that they would not tamper with
the evidence and will not threaten the witnesses, on Ansals
and others while freeing them on bail.
Seventh accused Dinesh Chandra Sharma, a sacked record
keeper of the trial court, was also granted bail prior to the
six accused in the case.
Ansals, convicted and sentenced to one-year jail term in
the main Uphaar fire case, are accused of colluding with
others, including a court`s record keeper, in destroying
crucial judicial documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand