Warehouses full with foodgrains: Pawar
New Delhi: Stock of foodgrains in government
godowns was "practically double" the buffer norms, Food
Minister Sharad Pawar on Tuesday said, but maintained that
responsibility of distribution to poor lay with the states.
"Our warehouses are full. As per buffer norms we have
practically double...There are no shortcomings," Pawar said
in the Lok Sabha during the Question Hour.
Pawar insisted that procurement, storage and allocation to
states was the responsibility of the Centre but distribution
through PDS was the job of the states.
He blamed the states for not lifting foodgrains allocated
"The government has made an additional ad hoc allocation
of 25 lakh tonnes of foodgrains at BPL prices for distribution
to BPL families in states and union territories," Pawar said.
However, since September 7, 2010 when the decision of
allocation of this additional foodgrains was taken as per
Supreme Court`s suggestions, "hardly 6 per cent of this was
lifted by the states", he said.
Pawar said the states can hire more warehouses to store
In reply to another question, Pawar said GPS tracking
system was being used to keep an eye on vehicles carrying
foodgrains in the wake of reports that grains meant for PDS
were being sold in the open market.
He informed the Lok Sabha that Tamil Nadu and Kerala had
taken the initiative to include items other than rice, wheat
and sugar in the PDS and some other states were also working
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row