Women DU students protest outside HRD Ministry
New Delhi: Women students of Delhi University on Tuesday staged a protest outside the Ministry of Human Resource Development against rising hostel fee structure and demanded more funding to government universities for construction of women`s hostels.
Students of different DU colleges under the banner of Centre for Struggling Women (CSW) gathered in large numbers outside the HRD Ministry to protest against the lack of adequate and affordable hostel accommodation in DU.
A delegation of protesting students also met higher education secretary Ashok Thakur to register their protest.
"Mr Thakur accepted the validity of our concerns. He promised to meet with the DU Vice Chancellor on the issue of constructing more women?s hostels," CSW`s convener Maya John said.
He also assured the students of taking up the matter of getting clearance for construction of women`s hostels in DU with Delhi Lt. Governor and promised to look into the issue of rising hostel fees, she said.
A petition with 1,500 signatures of women students addressed to the HRD Minister was also presented to Thakur.
The demands of the protesting students include introduction of more subsidised women-hostels, regulation of hostel-fee structure and provision of equal number of hostel seats for women students in co-ed colleges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire