12K birds spotted in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Morigaon (Assam): More than 12 thousand birds of 26 species have been spotted in Assam`s Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary during a week-long census, Forest officials said today.
The Assam Forest Department and prominent environmental organisation, `Aarayank` conducted a week-long census which concluded today, Sanctuary`s Ranger Mukul Tamuly told PTI.
The birds include about 5,000 migratory while the remaining 7,000 belonged to local species.
The migratory birds include more than hundred Siberian cranes.
The census was conducted by 40 people belonging to both the forest department and Aaranyak.
The sanctuary is famed for the highest density of one-horned rhino per square kilometre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list