12K birds spotted in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Morigaon (Assam): More than 12 thousand birds of 26 species have been spotted in Assam`s Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary during a week-long census, Forest officials said today.
The Assam Forest Department and prominent environmental organisation, `Aarayank` conducted a week-long census which concluded today, Sanctuary`s Ranger Mukul Tamuly told PTI.
The birds include about 5,000 migratory while the remaining 7,000 belonged to local species.
The migratory birds include more than hundred Siberian cranes.
The census was conducted by 40 people belonging to both the forest department and Aaranyak.
The sanctuary is famed for the highest density of one-horned rhino per square kilometre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!