12K birds spotted in Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
Morigaon (Assam): More than 12 thousand birds of 26 species have been spotted in Assam`s Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary during a week-long census, Forest officials said today.
The Assam Forest Department and prominent environmental organisation, `Aarayank` conducted a week-long census which concluded today, Sanctuary`s Ranger Mukul Tamuly told PTI.
The birds include about 5,000 migratory while the remaining 7,000 belonged to local species.
The migratory birds include more than hundred Siberian cranes.
The census was conducted by 40 people belonging to both the forest department and Aaranyak.
The sanctuary is famed for the highest density of one-horned rhino per square kilometre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened