A zoo of extinct animals; `Jurassic Park` style
London: A zoo similar to that of Hollywood sci-fi "Jurassic Park" may become real as scientists are working on a project to create dinosaur and other extinct animals in laboratory with the help of their frozen cells.
Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, and San Diego Zoo have collaborated in an attempt to bring endangered species back from the brink of extinction, The Telegraph reported citing the New Scientist.
Experiments are on to develop stem cells from the skin cells of a dead drill monkey, an endangered monkey native to Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria and Cameroon.
The experts hope that the "induced pluripotent stem" (iPS) cells thus created can then be bio-chemically persuaded into becoming sperm and egg cells. They can then be implanted into the womb of another monkey, and will hopefully form a viable foetus.
San Diego Zoo`s Frozen Zoo project has taken samples from 8,400 individuals of more than 800 species. It is hoped that these samples can be used in in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) to improve captive breeding projects.
"You could actually breed from animals that are dead," Jeane Loring, one of the Scripps researchers, was quoted as saying by the paper.
While the process is being used on endangered species, it would be technically possible to use it for extinct animals, using surrogate mothers from other species.
Last year, for the first time, an extinct animal - the Pyrenean ibex - was cloned using skin samples and the eggs of a domestic goat, although the ibex died shortly after birth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’