`Air quality, water availability worsened in Delhi`
New Delhi: Air pollution and drinking water availability worsened in the last five years in the national capital with the transport sector, industries and wastage of water adding to the problem, according to a survey released Monday.
The survey by The Energy Research Institute (TERI) found that 40 percent of the respondents felt that air quality has worsened while 39 percent felt that ground water availability has been affected.
According to the survey, 45 percent felt that the transport sector, 31 felt industries and 15 percent said garbage burning are the major sources of air pollution.
Eighty percent of the respondents agreed that air pollution is the cause of respiratory and skin diseases, while 18 percent agreed partially that air pollution is only one of the contributing factors for these diseases.
"Our purpose of conducting survey was to see that issues related to environment and development get embedded in the consciousness of the people," said R.K. Pachauri, director general, TERI.
He said the survey provides a useful basis for initiatives that can bring about effective action on the part of the public, driven by appropriate attitudes and values.
TERI interviewed 1,114 people from across the city.
The survey highlighted that majority of the respondents in Delhi were not aware that government policies exist for climate change, forest conservation, water pollution and air pollution.
With Delhi facing acute water shortage, the survey indicated that 94 percent perceived that water is being wasted in the city.
The reasons identified for water wastage included excessive consumption (58 percent), leakage during distribution (49 percent), and leakages in taps and faucets in the house (27 percent).
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today