All set for the 97th Indian Science Congress in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Organisers of the 97th edition of the Indian Science Congress (ISC) are all ready for the event, which will see more than 4,000 delegates and 3,500 student delegates participating.
"Everything is ready and the inaugural ceremony is being held in a newly built hall at the Kerala University campus which can accommodate more than 6,000 people. 50 delegates from abroad have also registered," former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman G Madhavan Nair, who is the general president of the 97th ISC, told reporters here Friday.
This is the first time this event is being held in the Kerala capital and the second time in the state.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is arriving here late Saturday night to inaugurate the event Sunday morning. It will conclude Thursday.
The ISC is being hosted by the Indian Space Research Organisation and the University of Kerala. The state government has sanctioned Rs 3.50 crore for the event.
"Another highlight of the event is that there would be Children`s Science Congress, in which 500 students from the country and 3,000 students from the state would participate. This would be inaugurated by former president APJ Abdul Kalam January 4," said Nair.
The students would have interactions with scientists, besides making their own presentations. They would be taken for field visits to the Space Museum and also witness a rocket launch.
Each day of the event would have plenary sessions which would focus on topics ranging from a science programme for the country, food and nutrition, health, climate, environment and energy, which would be addressed by luminaries from these areas, among them CNR Rao, MS Swaminathan, Roddham Narasimha besides Nair himself.
"One important session is the special meeting to be attended by secretaries from departments like oceanography, space and atomic energy," Nair said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India