Bihar broke energy promises: Greenpeace India
Patna: Greenpeace India, the environment protection organisation, has charged Chief Minister Nitish Kumar-led coalition government in Bihar with going back on its promises, especially on renewable energy.
The group has said that the government, enjoying a huge majority in the state assembly, should have taken brave and visionary steps towards ending energy starvation in the state.
Greenpeace India raised the charge in its reaction to the Bihar state budget presented Feb 25 which, the group said, reflected the government`s apathy to the issue of renewable energy.
"The budget of any government shows the vision and the direction that the state is going to take in the next five years. This budget sadly lacks the vision," Ramapati Kumar, campaign manager of Greenpeace India, told IANS.
The government is still banking on coal linkages and blocks as in its last tenure, and continues to ignore alternatives which have great potential in the state, he alleged.
According to Kumar, after Greenpeace India last year urged political parties to end the energy crisis by committing to a policy change for adoption of decentralised renewable energy in their poll manifesto, the response of the ruling Janata Dal-United and Bharatiya Janata Party was positive.
The JD-U and the BJP had mentioned a renewable energy policy for the state and measures to improve generation capacity and investment for renewable energy in their manifestos. The JD (U) had promised to allocate Rs.8,466 crore for 21 projects to generate 988 MW of electricity over the next five years, he recalled.
However, the government has allocated only a little more than Rs.71 crore, just 4.24 percent of the total energy budget, Kumar rued.
Arpana Udupa, climate and energy campaigner with Greenpeace India, said: "It is evident that, for the development of both the people and of the state of Bihar, finding solutions to the energy crisis is going to be absolutely necessary. No government can afford to ignore the role renewable energy can play in delivering this."
Bihar is reeling under a power crisis. It has the lowest per capita power consumption - 93 units as against the national average of 715 units - and the highest peak deficit at 33.7 percent.
Kumar said there was tremendous scope for developing decentralised renewable energy in the state.
A Greenpeace India study said Bihar needs an energy revolution now and decentralised renewable energy can fuel that change, he insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe