Chemical waste in UP river takes toll of aquatic life
Moradabad (Uttar Pradesh): A large number of dead fish have been found floating on the banks of the Ramganga River in Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad District, due to the dumping of chemical waste from nearby industries.
It is believed that the cause of the death of fish was lack of oxygen and the presence of an oily slick in the water of the river.
Locals complained of the administration`s failure to take any action against the factory owners, and said the drainage of toxic chemicals and other waste materials into the river has become a regular practice.
The fishes die due to the chemical waste thrown in the river and float on the surface of the river. We catch these fishes. Many fishes, turtles, snakes all die due to the poisonous water,” said a fisherman, Ram Gopal.
People and animals cannot consume the water of the river as it was adulterated and locals suffered from various ailments. “Poisonous water is discharged in the Ramganga river from the near by mills and factories, which is taking toll on fishes and spreading diseases.
The birds and animals are unable to drink this water,” said Suhas Kumar, another resident. Due to the continuous decline in the number of fishes in the river, the fishermen are also facing problems to earn their livelihood. In recent years, the waste from various factories and industries adversely affected the health of human beings and bio-diversity across India. The rivers have turned grossly polluted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing