Eight more bird species listed as threatened in IUCN Red List 2014
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
Hyderabad: The number of bird species listed as Critically Endangered (CE) has reached 173 bird in the country as per the latest International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Birds for 2013.
The latest species to join the growing list of birds facing the danger is Woolly-necked Stork, Andaman Teal, Andaman Green Pigeon, Ashy-headed Green Pigeon, Red-headed Falcon, Himalayan Griffon, Bearded Vulture and Yunnan Nuthatch.
Earlier in 2013, five species had been added to the threatened list, which includes Great Stone Plover, Alexandrine Parakeet, Grey-headed Parakeet, Blossom-headed Parakeet and Red-breasted Parakeet.
Critically Endangered list of threatened species released by IUCN is that database which provides information about species which are facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild.
The total number of species recognised by BirdLife in the 2014 Red List is 10,425.
Among them 140 species are extinct, 4 extinct in the wild, 213 critically endangered, 419 endangered and 741 vulnerable, the IUCN list said.
The latest list released by IUCN is certainly a wake up call that there is an urgent need to conserve the remaining habitants.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!