Elephants `do have long memories`
London: Elephants are more clever than you thought -- they have long memories, particularly when it comes to danger, says a new study.
Researchers have carried out the study and found that older elephants are the best at making crucial decisions about predators as they have experienced similar peril before, the `Daily Mail` reported.
In the study, when families were played male or female lion roars from a loudspeaker -- simulating their presence -- those with older matriarchs correctly focused their defensive reactions on male lions that are the more adept killers.
Dr Karen McComb of the University of Sussex, who led the study, said the ability to make this subtle distinction highlights the importance of age in leadership and advantage of longevity in large-brained, social mammals.
Elephants live in multi-generational families of up to 12 members that feed, rest, and move as one unit. Together they defend each other, search for food and also care for offspring.
During 72 playbacks of lion roars among 39 family groups in Boseli National Park in Kenya over more than two years, the oldest matriarchs listened intently for longer periods and led their group into more defensive positions when it was a male roar.
The researchers said: "Our work provides the first direct experimental evidence that older matriarchs are in fact able to make better decisions when faced with ecological challenges in this case, the presence of dangerous predators."
They added: "The findings demonstrate how the accumulated knowledge of the oldest individuals may have an overriding influence on the effectiveness of anti-predator decisions made by the social group as a whole, and highlight the vital role of such individuals in natural populations."
The findings have been published in the `Proceedings of the Royal Society B` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM