Glaciers protect mountain peaks from erosion
London: A new study of Europe`s high Alps has shown that that glaciers shield summits from erosion, acting as a protective lid.
French scientists studied erosion on Mont Blanc, western Europe`s highest peak, below and around its glaciers.
Cold ice at the highest points froze to the mountain rock and played little part in erosion, the team said.
In contrast, water and rain eroded glacier-free areas 10 times faster than areas protected by the glacier, the BBC reported.
The study focused on the Bossons glacier, which flows down the northern face of Mont Blanc towards the French town of Chamonix.
Rock debris, carved from the mountain at the toe of the Bossons glacier and sediments washed out in high mountain streams were compared with erosion in nearby glacier-free areas.
The researchers found that the cold glacial ice protected the mountain from erosion, rather than promoting it.
These results may explain the high altitude of the Alps. Driven by the tectonic collision of Europe with Africa, the high alpine bedrock is rising about one millimetre each year.
Glacier-free areas of the Alps erode at a similar rate but where the mountains are protected by ice, the peaks wear away at one tenth that rate.
The research is published in the journal Earth and Planetary Sciences Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic