Greenpeace slams Moily`s decision on feild trials of GM crops
New Delhi: Environmental watchdog Greenpeace today slammed Veerappa Moily`s decision to allow field trials of certain genetically modified (GM) food crops which were put on hold by his predecessor Jayanthi Natarajan.
"Greenpace demands the Environment Minister Veerappa Moily to explain on what grounds he has allowed the field trials for GMOs. This decision is in contrast to the stand taken by the former environment ministers Jairam Ramesh and Jayanthi Natarajan," it said in a statement.
The Environment Ministry, it said, has the moral obligation to explain what has changed since his predecessors took "proactive positions to save our food" and pointed to a Parliamentary Panel`s recommendation on a moratorium on such trials.
Moily had yesterday announced clearing a Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) decision to allow gene modification field trials for rice, wheat, maize and cotton.
Questioning the Minister`s decision, Greenpace also referred to technical expert committee of the Supreme Court which had pointed out shortcomings of GEAC.
Moily had yesterday told reporters that he had examined the case with officials and found that there was no embargo on the clearance by Supreme Court.
"With the elections around the corner the government should sense the opposition for GM crops around the country and commit to a Biosafety Protection Regime instead of the GEAC," Greenpeace said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof