Hand-reared tigress gives birth to two cubs
Bhopal: A five-year-old orphaned semi-wild tigress, tagged T-4, has become the world`s first feline reared in captivity and shifted to wilds, to spawn two cubs, at the Panna Tiger Reserve (PTR) in Madhya Pradesh.
"This is for the first time that a semi-wild tigress shifted to the wilds has adjusted to new environs and begotten cubs. The tigress was born in May 2006 in the Kanha Tiger
Reserve (KTR) and within days her mother had died," PTR Field Director, R S Murthy said.
T-4 was then reared in an enclosure and fed by Kanha staffers. The semi-wild tigress was carted out to Panna and released into the wilds only on March 27 last year.
There were apprehensions about the tigress` survival in the wild, given that it was hand-reared in an enclosure.
But she picked up the ropes quickly and started going for kills in the deep jungle, where it met a lone translocated tiger, and mated.
She delivered two cubs, and one of them was spotted by a PTR official on December 15 last year.
T-4 and her two cubs have now started moving out of their den since last week.
Before this, two translocated tigresses had given birth to eight cubs at PTR, of which six had survived. But both were wild tigresses, and not hand-reared and shifted, like T-4.
With eight cubs now, besides four tigresses and a tiger, the big cat population in PTR has risen to 13.
In early 2009, PTR had lost all its tigers and the big cats were subsequently reintroduced to revive population.
Significantly, the tiger re-introduction programme had failed in Sariska Tiger Reserve in neighbouring Rajasthan after poachers reportedly wiped out the felines there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon