`Iceland`s Grimsvoetn volcano eruption over`
Reykjavik: The eruption of Iceland`s Grimsvoetn volcano is considered over as there has not been activity there for days, a geologist at Iceland`s Meteorological Office said.
"We can`t see any signs of anything but that the eruption is over. There has been no activity on our equipment since Saturday morning at 7:00 am," Steinunn Jakobsdottir said.
Iceland`s most active volcano, located at the heart of its biggest glacier, Vatnajoekull, began erupting on May 21, spewing a column of smoke and ash as high as 20 kilometres
into the air.
But the plume quickly declined and by last Wednesday had all but stopped emitting ash.
The eruption raised fears of a repeat of the air travel chaos caused by a blast at the nearby Eyjafjoell volcano, which led to the world`s biggest airspace shutdown since World War II, affecting more than 100,000 flights and eight million passengers.
In the end, however, the number of flights grounded due to ash from Grimsvoetn could be counted in the hundreds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'