`Iceland`s Grimsvoetn volcano eruption over`
Reykjavik: The eruption of Iceland`s Grimsvoetn volcano is considered over as there has not been activity there for days, a geologist at Iceland`s Meteorological Office said.
"We can`t see any signs of anything but that the eruption is over. There has been no activity on our equipment since Saturday morning at 7:00 am," Steinunn Jakobsdottir said.
Iceland`s most active volcano, located at the heart of its biggest glacier, Vatnajoekull, began erupting on May 21, spewing a column of smoke and ash as high as 20 kilometres
into the air.
But the plume quickly declined and by last Wednesday had all but stopped emitting ash.
The eruption raised fears of a repeat of the air travel chaos caused by a blast at the nearby Eyjafjoell volcano, which led to the world`s biggest airspace shutdown since World War II, affecting more than 100,000 flights and eight million passengers.
In the end, however, the number of flights grounded due to ash from Grimsvoetn could be counted in the hundreds.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know