Indian-American scientist gets mountain named after him in Antarctica
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Indian-American scientist Akhouri Sinha got a rare honour with a mountain named after him in Antarctica in recognition of the pioneering biological research expedition he has done which provided critical data about animal populations.
Sinha, adjunct professor in the Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development at the University of Minnesota, was recognised by the US Geological Survey, which named the mountain Mt Sinha, for the research he did as an explorer in 1971-72.
Sinha was a member of the team that catalogued population studies of seals, whales and birds in the pack ice of the Bellingshausen and Amundsen Seas using US Coast Guard Cutters Southwind and Glaciers in 1972 and 1974.
The mountain was named by Advisory Committee on Antarctic Names (US-ACAN) and the US Geological Survey.
Mt Sinha is located at the southeast extremity of Erickson Bluffs in the south part of McDonald Heights, overlooking lower Kirkpatrick Glacier from the north in Marie Byrd Land.
“Anyone can see the Mt Sinha, Antarctica on Google.com or Bing.com,” Sinha was quoted as saying to PTI in an interview.
“Show to the world that you are capable, don`t be afraid to contact people out in the field today, and grab every opportunity,” added Sinha.
Sinha completed his BSc degree from Allahabad University in 1954 and MSc degree in Zoology from Patna University in 1956.
He said he was invited to conduct research on reproduction of Antarctic seals by the National Science Foundation Antarctic Program.
Before coming to the US, Sinha also taught in the Department of Zoology at Ranchi College from November 1956 to July 1961.
Sinha`s forefathers migrated to Buxar in Bihar from Delhi after Nadir Shah of Iran invaded Delhi in 1739.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in