J&K to have first wind power project at Reasi
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir will have first wind power project in the state and a site in Reasi`s mountainous district has been found suitable for it.
The process to grant the project has been begun. It will come up at Bidda site in Reasi district that has high wind potential, officials of Jammu and Kashmir Energy Development department (JAKEDA) said.
To study the wind potential and feasibility of such projects in the state, two wind masts were installed at Ijara in Baramulla district and Bidda, officials said.
They said, as per the tests, there is wind potential of about 336 watts/square meter at 50 meters by height. The project of around 10 MWs could be developed in first stage, they added. The Ijara site was not found feasible
For development of the Bidda site, draft Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been prepared and forwarded to NHPC for their acceptance as the location at which wind farm is to be developed is leased out to NHPC by the State Government, the officials said.
JAKEDA has mandate to implement wind power projects in State while thermal energy projects are being implemented by the PDD, they said.
In case of wind power projects, masts are installed in the first instance to measure the wind velocity for ascertaining the wind potential.
The measurements are taken initially for a period of two years and if the site is found feasible then the study is extended for one one more year, they said.
"Therefore the criteria for developing of wind farm is to first access the wind potential and then take up the wind power projects, if the site is found feasible and approved by the Centre for Wind Energy Technology".
The department through JAKEDA will install wind masts in other areas also, as and when they are approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday