J&K to have first wind power project at Reasi
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir will have first wind power project in the state and a site in Reasi`s mountainous district has been found suitable for it.
The process to grant the project has been begun. It will come up at Bidda site in Reasi district that has high wind potential, officials of Jammu and Kashmir Energy Development department (JAKEDA) said.
To study the wind potential and feasibility of such projects in the state, two wind masts were installed at Ijara in Baramulla district and Bidda, officials said.
They said, as per the tests, there is wind potential of about 336 watts/square meter at 50 meters by height. The project of around 10 MWs could be developed in first stage, they added. The Ijara site was not found feasible
For development of the Bidda site, draft Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been prepared and forwarded to NHPC for their acceptance as the location at which wind farm is to be developed is leased out to NHPC by the State Government, the officials said.
JAKEDA has mandate to implement wind power projects in State while thermal energy projects are being implemented by the PDD, they said.
In case of wind power projects, masts are installed in the first instance to measure the wind velocity for ascertaining the wind potential.
The measurements are taken initially for a period of two years and if the site is found feasible then the study is extended for one one more year, they said.
"Therefore the criteria for developing of wind farm is to first access the wind potential and then take up the wind power projects, if the site is found feasible and approved by the Centre for Wind Energy Technology".
The department through JAKEDA will install wind masts in other areas also, as and when they are approved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police