Kerala opposed to extending eco-sensitive zone width
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government today said it was not in favour of extending eco-sensitive zone areas where there are human settlements near national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.
"The state would submit its proposals to the Centre on the matter in tune with its concept that it did not want to cause any difficulties to people who are living for years", Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters during cabinet briefing.
However, he said the government has no objection to extending the ecologically sensitive areas beyond 12 kms where there were no human settlements.
The Centre had sought state`s opinion to extend the width of Eco-sensitive zone`s of 22 centres in the state, he said.
Government was committed to protect and conserve forest and wildlife. Kerala`s forest cover was much higher than thenational average, he said, adding "forest encroachment will be dealt with firmly".
Chandy said recommendations on both the Madhav Gadgil ledWestern Ghats Ecology Expert Panel and also the report of K Kasturirangan Committee would adversely affect people living in forest fringe areas, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read