Migratory bird poaching continuing in Chilika
Berhampur: Poaching of migratory birds is continuing unabated in Chilika lake despite steps taken by the forest department to prevent it.
Official sources said today at least 25 dead birds were seized from poachers in the last three days and six persons, including two teenagers, arrested.
The latest incident was reported from Sundarapur area under Tangi wildlife range from where a person was arrested and four dead birds were seized from him yesterday.
On Monday, the wildlife department seized one northern pintail and arrested two teenagers in Deipur village, on the banks of the Chilika.
Wildlife officials on Sunday seized 20 dead purple moorhens from three poachers in Mangalajodi. The three, who had killed the birds after trapping them inside the lake, were arrested and the boat used by them was seized.
Divisional forest officer (Chilika wildlife division) B P Acharya said the poaching incidents were detected due to alertness and anti-poaching measures.
Poachers are active in the lake since the meat of migratory birds is very much in demand among the people at Balugaon, Khallikote, Berhampur and Bhubaneswar.
At least 17 anti-poaching camps with over 50 personnel have been set up in the vast brackish water lake since migratory birds started coming to the Chilika in October, wildlife sources said.
The government has banned entry within 15.53 sq km sanctuary area of Nalabana. Most migratory birds make Nalabana their home during the winter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?