Naga Sadhus campaign against global warming at Kumbh
Haridwar: Naga sadhus or naked sadhus, who
smear their bodies with ash and sport long matted hair, are
using the Maha Kumbh Mela here as a medium to campaign against
Juna Akhara council General Secretary Mahant Hari Giri,
speaking to PTI in an interview, warns of an environmental
backlash if the world continues to exploit the nature in the
manner it is being done now.
Juna Akhara is one of the largest group of Naga sadhus.
"You really can`t mess up with the nature and think you
can get away with it. The nature is very powerful and can wipe
off the human race if it wants to. Be it global warming,
droughts or floods, this is the nature hitting back at us for
messing with it," Giri, who is currently camping with his
members at about 15-kms outside the Haridwar town, said.
Citing China`s example, the priest of the Juna Akhara
Deepak Puri said, "They fired rockets to bring snowfall. Snow
did come but it caused immense harm to the nature. You can`t
do that without being ready for a backlash."
Puri along with other sadhus will throng the religious
town on January 30 to participate in the `shahi snan` on
Asked how the Nagas, who are originally a militant armed
band, felt about the current military capacity of the country,
Giri said, "The country has its defence forces who are doing
their duty. We are not part of it any longer. We respect our
Constitution." Talking about the main problem facing the country, Giri
said increasing price rise is of immediate concern, but the
main problem is corruption.
"The price rise...is of immediate concern, but the
biggest problem ailing the country is corruption. Price rise
is also a result of corruption.
"Many states spend crores on building bridges and roads
but...everything exists on paper. Farmers sell their products
at nominal rates, which are bought by middlemen who hoard it.
This artificially increases the prices," he said.
Replying to a query on which is the best political party
to lead the country, he said, "We don`t care for any party.
Whichever is able to control the prices would be the best
political party. As sadhus, we should stay away from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!