New river dolphin species discovered
London: A new river dolphin species has been discovered in nearly a century in Brazil.
The species was discovered from the Araguaia River basin of Brazil and researchers propose that it be called the Araguaian Boto, or Boto-do-Araguaia.
The new species is diagnosable by a series of molecular and morphological characters and diverged from other South American river species more than 2 million years ago, researchers said.
About 1,000 of these creatures are believed to be living in the Araguaia river basin, `BBC News` reported.
By analysing DNA samples from dozens of dolphins in the Araguaia and Tocantins rivers, researchers concluded the Araguaia river creature was indeed a new species.
"We looked at the mitochondrial DNA which is essentially looking at the lineages, and there is no sharing of lineages," said lead author Dr Tomas Hrbek, from the Federal University of Amazonas.
"The groups that we see, the haplotypes, are much more closely related to each other than they are to groups elsewhere. For this to happen, the groups must have been isolated from each other for a long time," Hrbek said.
"The divergence we observed is larger than the divergences observed between other dolphin species," he said.
Writing in the journal Plos One, researchers expressed concerns about the future of the new dolphin, saying that it appears to have very low levels of genetic diversity. PTI RCL AKJ
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why