New spider species discovered in Kerala
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
Aranmula: Three new species of spiders have been discovered near the proposed airport site at Aranmula in Pathanamthitta district, Kerala.
The research team, led by AV Sudhikumar, an arachnologist with the Zoology Department of Christ College, Irinjalakuda, has discovered three new and eight rare species of spiders on the proposed airport site.
The research team has also found about 45 different species of spiders from the state during a month-long study.
The three spider species spotted at the site include Genus Cybaeus of Cybaeidae family, Genus Micromata of Sparassidae family and Genus Orthobula of Corinnidae family.
Cybaeus variety, generally nest in the dried leaves of plants and are considered nocturnal, whereas Micromata hides prey upon insects by hiding in the green leaves of plants. Orthobula commonly resides on fallen leaves on the ground and is also considered nocturnal.
Genus Neoscona of Araneidae family has also been been spotted for the first time in India. The details of the discovery will be presented at an international conference on spider research in Italy in July.
The controversial airport project which is proposed to be built on about 700 acres (2.8 sq. km) of land has been facing strong protest from environmentalists and local people as well as the opposition parties in Kerala as it will have grave impact on the environmental diversity of the ecologically-sensitive area.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand